What does “Kindness” mean to you? How do you think we can create a kinder society?
Young people from around the world are invited to reflect on these questions and enter the 2019 International Essay Contest for Young People organized by the Goi Peace Foundation, a GAP Key Partner.
The annual contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
The theme for this year’s contest is: CREATING A SOCIETY FULL OF KINDNESS
As 20th anniversary special edition, this year’s contest involves action in addition to writing, so that participating in the contest directly contributes to creating a better world. Participants are asked to carry out ten acts of kindness, and then use their experience as inspiration in writing their essays.
This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
* This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
First Prize winners will be invited to Tokyo, Japan, and will receive the Minister of Education Award at the Goi Peace Foundation Forum in November 2019.
1. Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2019) in one of the following
a) Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 – 25)
2. Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less
in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
3. Entries may be submitted online or by postal mail.
* IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at www.goipeace.or.jp and follow
the required steps.
4. Entries submitted by postal mail must include a cover page indicating:
(1) your name (2) category (Children or Youth) (3) age as of June 15, 2019 (4) gender (5) nationality
(6) address (7) e-mail (8) phone number (9) school name (if applicable) (10) your essay title
(11) language (12) word count (13) list of ten acts of kindness you performed (describe briefly).
Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group. Please
enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting
teacher or director.
* Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
* A cover page template is available to download at www.goipeace.or.jp. You may also create your own cover page with all items (1)-(13) above.
* We are unable to confirm receipt of essays.
5. Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
6. Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
7. Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
PLEASE SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
OR Send online through www.goipeace.or.jp
* For more information, visit the above website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries must be received by June 15, 2019 (23:59 your local time).
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of February 2019) and gift ……… 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of February 2019) and gift……… 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift…………………………………………………………. 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift ……………………………………… 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan on November 23, 2019 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced on October 31, 2019 on the Goi Peace Foundation website www.goipeace.or.jp. Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in December 2019.